When we haven’t eaten bananas and they turn brown, it’s time to pull out my tried & true old recipe. I have had this Betty Crocker’s Cookbook for 30 years & I wouldn’t trade it for a new one! I love it’s time worn look and the recipes that I have made for my family for many years. The most used for me from this cookbook has been the banana bread! Over the years the book was re-printed & the recipe changed..but… The BEST Old Fashioned Banana Bread Recipe is the original- the one from this book over 30 years ago.
I usually follow the recipe per the cookbook, but I also like to add a twist on it from time to time. Like adding chopped dried apricots, or extra nuts on the top before I bake it. This time I made a bit of streusel type of topping, about 2 TBSP of each item: granola, chopped nuts, brown sugar & butter. Mix together & sprinkle across the top of your unbaked bread.
This is the original Old Fashioned Banana Bread Recipe:
Heat oven to 350 degrees, grease bottom only of loaf pan 9x5x3.
- Mash 2-3 over ripe bananas (1 1/4 cups). In large mixing bowl combine 2-1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- Mix all ingredients. Beat 30 seconds. *I do it by hand
- Fill a floured pan & bake for 50-60min at 350, until toothpick in center comes out clean. *I like to cover the banana bread for the last 15 mins of baking so tope isn’t too brown with my streusel.
- Cool slightly, loosen sides of loaf from pan, remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing, if you can wait~
Fabulous Fall Home Decor -Pumpkins! Not your ordinary pumpkins at all.
These are just a few we love. For many more fabulous ideas & pictures please see our Fall Pinterest Board.
Getting ready for a backyard party & want the decorations to be colorful & festive. Making Tissue Paper Flowers (or Poms) is easy & inexpensive.
We bought everything at the Dollar Tree: Colorful Tissue Paper, Pipe Cleaners, a bag of Rubber Bands.
2 options to keep in mind when making these: 1- you can cut the ends differently to create different ends of the flowers. See, in the pictures, that some are rounder edges & some are pointy. For pointy, cut a V shape. for Round, cut more like a U shape. And option 2- You can start with smaller pieces of tissue paper to make different size flowers.
Here’s a little sample of how beautiful the tissue paper flower decorations came out. Come back & see our post on the party! ..We should have that post ready to go very soon!
Kids Rooms with a FrugElegant Style~
Walking a model home & seeing rooms filled with lots of great decorating ideas. Ideas for decorating rooms of all ages. Thought it would be nice to share these smart decorating tips we see…
- Baby’s room book tree & burlap drum shades are such a cute idea!
- Boy’s room headboard are pieces of wood with a groove in the center to hold the piece of cut sheet metal. The low table & 2 floor pillows at the end of the bed provide a great place to play games.
- Girls room has a bright pink focal point wall, on the nightstand is a glass canister with colorful jax (can be filled with your childs favorite items to add a pop of color to the room). On the side wall is a great FrugElegant idea ~ 3 decorated clip boards personalized to accent the room.
- For a teen, a simple large metal initial is a great way to personalize the space while keeping it in style.
- A small room can still accommodate a set of twin beds with this great set up, a corner table between the beds which has a shelf for storage that provides each child to store books and personal items. The shelf on the wall above the bed appears to be cut from a suitcase (but is made from metal), it is just an adorable accent.
- and notice all the fabulous fun colors!
Simple, FrugElegance Style- Love these great ideas!
The last Big Craft Giveaway was so awesome we all decided to do it again!
Each blog participating, runs their own giveaway of craft items. You can enter in as many giveaways as you would like. Enter in all of them!!
FrugElegance’s Giveaway includes the following:
- WeR Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper- New In Sealed Package, Value: $29.00
- 1 WeR Classic Leather 4x4 Ring Album, Color: Metallic Gold (*$4.99-$14.99 each depending on store)- NEW/Unused Item
- 1 box of Pick Your Plum Sewing Thread, package contains 10 different colors- This package is NEW & the thread still has the plastic on it.
- 1 Package of 12 Grip Oil Pastels by Faber-Castell: New in Package $6.99 Value
- 1 Fiskars Paper Edege ShapeCutter -Heart design- This is preowned but hardly used. Approx $10 Value
- 1 Doh Vinci Deluxe Styler Package (with 4 design tips), New in Sealed Package, Value: $7.99
*Please note that I listed approximate price values per the items I could find & compare on the internet. Since these items were already owned for a while, I do not know what the exact value on each is.
Hope you will look around & get to know us at FrugElegance! For the giveaway you only need to follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. But we do hope you will follow us at Hometalk & Instagram too.
Check out all the participating bloggers listed below & enter their amazing giveaways too!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Strawberry Season is almost done but there’s still a little time to enjoy them. This is a favorite because its easy to make, looks beautiful & tastes spectacular!
Why “Drizzle”? With the Eat This, Not That lifestyle, drizzling the chocolate gives just as much flavor but much less chocolate than covering the whole strawberry. I can watch my weight without giving up my favorite foods.
All you need is:
- A package of Dark Chocolate Chips (any brand of chocolate chips- you don’t need the fancy overpriced melting chocolate!)
- Container of Strawberries (washed & thoroughly dry)
- Plastic Baggie
- Cookie Sheet covered with a sheet of Wax Paper**
- Place strawberries on wax paper/cookie sheet with a little room in-between each one.
- Pour chocolate chips into microwave safe bowl. Heat on low power for about 30 seconds & stir with spoon. You do not want to heat the chocolate too fast. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Put baggie into cup for easy handling, fill with melted chocolate. Twist baggie with a firm grip so chocolate is mainly at a bottom corner & the top is twisted closed (so it won’t squeeze out from the top). Snip a very small corner off with a scissor. The larger the cut, the faster the chocolate will come out. The smaller the cut, the skinnier the drizzle.
- Now you can hold the baggie & drizzle the chocolate back & forth a few times per each strawberry. There are no mistakes- don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly created.
- Put cookie sheet into refrigerator till chocolate is hardened.
Optional: Sprinkle Finely Chopped Nuts or Color Sugar onto chocolate before putting in refrigerator.
**Why wax paper? As the chocolate hardens, it won’t stick to the wax paper. Easy to remove. If you put it directly on a plate or cookie sheet, the chocolate will be difficult to remove.
I was going NUTS! For the past 2 years I have been trying to get rid of these white oxidized “stains” that made these chairs look old & weathered. I was ready to give up & paint them. I tried so many products to clean them. This time, I decided to try give one more product a try- OXICLEAN!
First, I measured to the level 1 (on the scoop that comes in the container) & mixed with about 2 cups of water. I started cleaning the chair and rinsed it, as it dries I usually see the white film appear again… but not this time…WOW! This time they stayed clear & clean, the chairs look great again.
It doesn’t really get any easier than this. Spray paints that have paint & primer in one. Love the selection of colors & finishes! Prices vary per store but I usually buy them for approx $3.99-$4.99 per can.
Painted in under 1 hour & used less that 2 full cans, these stools look beautiful.
For another easy DIY spray paint update, check out our Easy Flower Pot Update posts
The wallpaper & white wash cabinets needed to be updated. No contractor needed because I knew what I wanted & my husband & I could handle the project. We did not need to replace the granite countertops because they were replaced about 8 years ago. Here’s the changes we made:
- New tile floor
- New cabinet doors (ordered from a cabinet company)
- Decorative Hardware (got a special discounted rate negotiating with a store that only sells handles- they gave us a contractors price)
- New canned lights replaced the old fluorescents.
- A custom looking range hood
- A larger crown molding installed around the top edge of cabinets gives an elegant custom look.
- Seeded Glass cut to fit in 2 of the cabinet doors (we ordered & had cut from a glass company)
- Puck lights added to light up the shelves
- A spice pull out cabinet (next to cooktop)
- Lots of pull out drawers
- A small pantry closet is now a cabinet with a built in wine refrigerator below.
Beautiful decor adds to any & all rooms. Much the same way fashion accessories can make an outfit complete- The decor used here were all found on sale or at favorite discount stores. Hard to tell which items came from Ballard Designs & which came from HomeGoods or even the local craft store. Either way the finishing touch is fabulous—
I LOVE MY NEW KITCHEN!
**This post has been recreated & updated from a previous post.
Great for Dorm Rooms, Teen Rooms, Bedrooms, Home Offices. Pin Boards can be elegant & stylish!
So easy to make- So many different options
Wanting to match the bedding, the material used is from a linen case the sheets came in!! You can use pillow cases, sheets- basically, you don’t have to go out to buy material unless you want to.
Starting with a foam board (from the dollar store), cover entire board with material. Using duct tape, secure areas on the back of the board. Taking ribbon or thin cord, wrap around board (make them go on an angle) & also secure on back with duct tape. This pin board was planned to fit into this shabby chic frame & hang on wall. Another option- you can make the board thicker using a layer of batting in between the material & board, wrap tight with a ribbon & hang without frame.
Use the material to make a matching pillow for the bed, or use a pillow case from a bedding set- perfect custom made room decor.
Easy DIY Decorative Push Pins:
- Package of Crystal Acrylic Stones
- Packet of Clear Push Pins from the Dollar Store
- Quick Drying Glass & Bead Glue
So easy! Just put a small dab of clue on the end of the push pin, place a crystal & press firmly, let dry.
Come see our post on the room makeover this pin board & push pins were created for.
A BIG thank you to all the awesome Link Parties! These are some of our favorites where we shared this post: