Easy to do & Frug-Elegant! This Ribbon is gorgeous on this Pillow & Candle- coordinating Fall Decor!
Supplies Needed: Burlap Ribbon (we went with a warm brown color), Paint Pens & Stencils
Keeping things simple & easy clean up, we love using paint pens. Here, we use the stencils the same way as if we were using paint & brush or roller, but we use the Paint Pens by simply pressing on the material with the stencil firmly pressed in place. Easy to do, spelling out “FALL” The color called Pumpkin is the perfect shade with the pillow (we already had).
We LOVE to use items we have throughout the house and then re-decorate it over & over again- this keeps down storage & saves lots of $$.
Want some more Fall Home Decor Ideas? Come see our Pumpkins Around the House. And for an amazing Fall Cookie Recipe check out our Pumpkin Spice Chip Cookies
This post can also be found on these amazing link parties- The Scoop, DIY ShowOff, Lou Lou Girls,
We LOVE participating in Lightning Crafts! And this special Halloween Craft Lightning is sure to be spooktacular! So many bloggers with amazing projects!
From Fall Home Decor to Halloween Spidertastic!
This pumpkin shaped soap dispenser is very simple & plain. Spraying some Krylon Make it Stone! spray paint, the clear plastic becomes textured like stone. No need to mask off any sections, just stick a paper towel or tissue bunched up so not spray goes inside. I didn’t spray to completely cover, just a light coating- fast. Now you can see through when the soap is poured in (and its orange!). The spray does need to dry thoroughly. An optional addition- to add the jute wrapped around the top. Just a few touches with the glue gun & the jute stays put.
This really looks great as a fall decor piece. Then for Halloween, break out those plastic spiders! A little glue gun glue to attach them & your halloween soap dispenser is finished!
Thank you Carolina from 30MinuteCrafts & Angie from CountryChicCottage for hosting Halloween Lightning Craft!
A new kind of chip is in town! Nestle Toll House came out with Pumpkin Spice Chips so we just had to create a cookie recipe for it. The cookies came out so fantastic we had to share the recipe with you-
Ingredients: 1/4 Cup Sugar & 2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon for coating. Cooking Dough: 1-1/2 Cup Sugar, 1/2 Cup Shortening, 1/2 Cup Softened Butter, 2 Eggs, 2-3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour, 2 Tsp Cinnamon, 2 tsp Cream of Tartar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, Nestle Toll House Pumpkin Spice Chips, 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
Heat oven to 400˚
First, Mix 1/4 cup of sugar & 2 Tbsp cinnamon & then set aside.
Beat 1-1/2 cup sugar, shortening, butter & eggs in large mixing bowl on medium speed (or with spoon). Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Stir in pumpkin spice chips & nuts.
Shape Dough into 1-1/4” balls. Roll in the Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture. Place about 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet (my preference).
Bake 9-10 mins or until centers are almost set. Remove from cookie sheet onto wire rack to cool. Serve & ENJOY!!
It’s The Masquerade Ball where you will see so many wonderful bloggers posting about Halloween Costumes & Party Ideas Sept 15- Oct 18th.
FrugElegance is happy to share our EASY DIY trick for creating party place settings using Washi Tape!
- Package of 6 Silver Napkin Rings were purchased at the Dollar Tree.
- Package of paper black dessert cups & mini orange spoons
- Washi Tape -Halloween Design
If you haven’t used washi tape yet, its great stuff! It works just like tape- stick & cut to size. Easy to apply, we made a few different options for halloween party place settings- Wrapped the napkin rings & dessert cups to match. We added a plastic spider and a candy corn- but the options are endless! *Another suggestion- use washi & create a boarder to frame a plain placement &/or add a strip of washi around the beverage drink cups.
For fun name place cards- use a white chalk marker to write names on the dessert cups!
Thank you to Adrienne at Free Time Frolics for hosting the Masquerade Ball! Check out the other great bloggers & their Halloween Masquerade Ball posts-
When we haven’t eaten bananas and they turn brown, it’s time to pull out my tried & true old recipe. I have had this Betty Crocker’s Cookbook for 30 years & I wouldn’t trade it for a new one! I love it’s time worn look and the recipes that I have made for my family for many years. The most used for me from this cookbook has been the banana bread! Over the years the book was re-printed & the recipe changed..but… The BEST Old Fashioned Banana Bread Recipe is the original- the one from this book over 30 years ago.
I usually follow the recipe per the cookbook, but I also like to add a twist on it from time to time. Like adding chopped dried apricots, or extra nuts on the top before I bake it. This time I made a bit of streusel type of topping, about 2 TBSP of each item: granola, chopped nuts, brown sugar & butter. Mix together & sprinkle across the top of your unbaked bread.
This is the original Old Fashioned Banana Bread Recipe:
Heat oven to 350 degrees, grease bottom only of loaf pan 9x5x3.
- Mash 2-3 over ripe bananas (1 1/4 cups). In large mixing bowl combine 2-1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- Mix all ingredients. Beat 30 seconds. *I do it by hand
- Fill a floured pan & bake for 50-60min at 350, until toothpick in center comes out clean. *I like to cover the banana bread for the last 15 mins of baking so tope isn’t too brown with my streusel.
- Cool slightly, loosen sides of loaf from pan, remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing, if you can wait~
Fabulous Fall Home Decor -Pumpkins! Not your ordinary pumpkins at all.
These are just a few we love. For many more fabulous ideas & pictures please see our Fall Pinterest Board.
Getting ready for a backyard party & want the decorations to be colorful & festive. Making Tissue Paper Flowers (or Poms) is easy & inexpensive.
We bought everything at the Dollar Tree: Colorful Tissue Paper, Pipe Cleaners, a bag of Rubber Bands.
2 options to keep in mind when making these: 1- you can cut the ends differently to create different ends of the flowers. See, in the pictures, that some are rounder edges & some are pointy. For pointy, cut a V shape. for Round, cut more like a U shape. And option 2- You can start with smaller pieces of tissue paper to make different size flowers.
Here’s a little sample of how beautiful the tissue paper flower decorations came out. Come back & see our post on the party! ..We should have that post ready to go very soon!
Kids Rooms with a FrugElegant Style~
Walking a model home & seeing rooms filled with lots of great decorating ideas. Ideas for decorating rooms of all ages. Thought it would be nice to share these smart decorating tips we see…
- Baby’s room book tree & burlap drum shades are such a cute idea!
- Boy’s room headboard are pieces of wood with a groove in the center to hold the piece of cut sheet metal. The low table & 2 floor pillows at the end of the bed provide a great place to play games.
- Girls room has a bright pink focal point wall, on the nightstand is a glass canister with colorful jax (can be filled with your childs favorite items to add a pop of color to the room). On the side wall is a great FrugElegant idea ~ 3 decorated clip boards personalized to accent the room.
- For a teen, a simple large metal initial is a great way to personalize the space while keeping it in style.
- A small room can still accommodate a set of twin beds with this great set up, a corner table between the beds which has a shelf for storage that provides each child to store books and personal items. The shelf on the wall above the bed appears to be cut from a suitcase (but is made from metal), it is just an adorable accent.
- and notice all the fabulous fun colors!
Simple, FrugElegance Style- Love these great ideas!
The last Big Craft Giveaway was so awesome we all decided to do it again!
Each blog participating, runs their own giveaway of craft items. You can enter in as many giveaways as you would like. Enter in all of them!!
FrugElegance’s Giveaway includes the following:
- WeR Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper- New In Sealed Package, Value: $29.00
- 1 WeR Classic Leather 4x4 Ring Album, Color: Metallic Gold (*$4.99-$14.99 each depending on store)- NEW/Unused Item
- 1 box of Pick Your Plum Sewing Thread, package contains 10 different colors- This package is NEW & the thread still has the plastic on it.
- 1 Package of 12 Grip Oil Pastels by Faber-Castell: New in Package $6.99 Value
- 1 Fiskars Paper Edege ShapeCutter -Heart design- This is preowned but hardly used. Approx $10 Value
- 1 Doh Vinci Deluxe Styler Package (with 4 design tips), New in Sealed Package, Value: $7.99
*Please note that I listed approximate price values per the items I could find & compare on the internet. Since these items were already owned for a while, I do not know what the exact value on each is.
Hope you will look around & get to know us at FrugElegance! For the giveaway you only need to follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. But we do hope you will follow us at Hometalk & Instagram too.
Check out all the participating bloggers listed below & enter their amazing giveaways too!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Strawberry Season is almost done but there’s still a little time to enjoy them. This is a favorite because its easy to make, looks beautiful & tastes spectacular!
Why “Drizzle”? With the Eat This, Not That lifestyle, drizzling the chocolate gives just as much flavor but much less chocolate than covering the whole strawberry. I can watch my weight without giving up my favorite foods.
All you need is:
- A package of Dark Chocolate Chips (any brand of chocolate chips- you don’t need the fancy overpriced melting chocolate!)
- Container of Strawberries (washed & thoroughly dry)
- Plastic Baggie
- Cookie Sheet covered with a sheet of Wax Paper**
- Place strawberries on wax paper/cookie sheet with a little room in-between each one.
- Pour chocolate chips into microwave safe bowl. Heat on low power for about 30 seconds & stir with spoon. You do not want to heat the chocolate too fast. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Put baggie into cup for easy handling, fill with melted chocolate. Twist baggie with a firm grip so chocolate is mainly at a bottom corner & the top is twisted closed (so it won’t squeeze out from the top). Snip a very small corner off with a scissor. The larger the cut, the faster the chocolate will come out. The smaller the cut, the skinnier the drizzle.
- Now you can hold the baggie & drizzle the chocolate back & forth a few times per each strawberry. There are no mistakes- don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly created.
- Put cookie sheet into refrigerator till chocolate is hardened.
Optional: Sprinkle Finely Chopped Nuts or Color Sugar onto chocolate before putting in refrigerator.
**Why wax paper? As the chocolate hardens, it won’t stick to the wax paper. Easy to remove. If you put it directly on a plate or cookie sheet, the chocolate will be difficult to remove.